JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY
CONTAINING THE TRANSACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY.
Vol. IX. 1900
WELLINGTON, N.Z.: PRINTED FOR THE SOCIETY BY WHITCOMBE AND TOMES LIMITED, LAMBTON QUAY. AGENT FOR AMERICA: REV. S. D. PEET, EDITOR OF “THE AMERICAN ANTIQUARY,” CHICAGO. 1900. Reprinted with the permission of The Polynesian Society JOHNSON REPRINT CORPORATION 111 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10003 Johnson Reprint Company Limited Berkeley Square House, London, W. I.
UNIVERSITY OF AUCKLAND LIBRARY
MAORI RESOURCE ROOM
First reprinting, 1965, Johnson Reprint Corporation
Printed in the United States of America
CONTENTS OF VOL. IX.
No. 33.—March, 1900.
- Constitution of Society, List of Officers and Members i-v
- Annual Meeting vi
- Annual Report of the Council vi
- Balance Sheet viii
- Wars of the Northern against the Southern Tribes of New Zealand. By S. Percy Smith 1
- “The Creation Song” of Hawaii. By Edward Tregear 38
- Nga Mahi a Te Wera, me Nga-Puhi Hoki, ki Te Tai-Rawhiti. Na Takaanui Tarakawa i Tuhituhi 47
- The Doings of Te Wera and Nga-Puhi on the East Coast. Te Wera proceeds South 54
- Notes and Queries. 129 The Cross in Polynesia. 130 Sun Worship in New Zealand 63
- Proceedings of the Society 64
No. 34.—June, 1900.
- Nga Mahi a Te Wera, me Nga-Puhi Hoki, ki Te Tai-Rawhiti. Na Takaanui Tarakawa i Tuhituhi 65
- The Doings of Te Wera and Nga-Puhi on the East Coast 74
- Wars of the Northern against the Southern Tribes of New Zealand. By S. Percy Smith 85
- Triangular Teeth amongst Maoris. By the late F. E. Clarke 121
- Proceedings of the Society 125
- Notice to Members 126
No. 35.—September, 1900.
- Folk Songs and Myths from Samoa. By J. Fraser, LL.D. 125
- Ancient Moriori Art in New Zealand. By Joshua Rutland 142
- Ancient Indian Astronomy. By Joshua Rutland 144
- Wars of the Northern against the Southern Tribes of New Zealand. By S. Percy Smith 145
- Notes and Queries 169
- Obituary.—Rev. Charles McEwen Hyde, D.D. 170
- Proceedings of the Society 171
No. 36.—December, 1900.
- Spiritual Concepts of the Maori. By Elsdon Best, of Rua-tahuna, Tuhoe-land 173
- Ko “Aotea” Waka. Te Haerenga mai a Turi ki Aotea-roa nei. Na Heta-raka Tautahi i Korero, Otira na raua ko Werahiko Taipuhi 200
- The “Aotea” Canoe. The Migration of Turi to Aotea-roa (New Zealand). Translated and Annotated by S. Percy Smith
- A Song of Savage Island (Niuē). By Ed. Tregear 234
- Proceedings of the Society 236
- 4 Page is blank
OFFICERS FOR 1899.
J. H. Pope.
- S. Percy Smith, F.R.G.S.
- C. A. Ewen.
- R. B. Roy.
- N. J. Tone.
- E. Tregear, F.R. Hist. S.
- R. Coupland Harding.
Joint Hon. Secretaries and Treasurers, and Editors of Journal:
S. Percy Smith and Ed. Tregear.
THE Society is formed to promote the study of the Anthropology, Ethnology, Philology, History and Antiquities of the Polynesian races, by the publication of an official journal, to be called “The Journal of the Polynesian Society” and by the collection of books, manuscripts, photographs, relics, and other illustrations.
The term “Polynesia” is intended to include Australia, New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Malaysia, as well as Polynesia proper.
Candidates for admission to the Society shall be admitted on the joint recommendation of a member of the Society and a member of the Council, and on the approval of the Council.
Every person elected to membership shall receive immediate notice of the same from the Secretaries, and shall receive a copy of the rules; and on payment of his subscription of one pound shall be entitled to all the benefits of membership. Subscriptions are payable in advance, on the 1st January of each year.
Papers will be received on any of the above subjects if sent through a member. Authors are requested to write only on one side of the paper, to use quarto paper, and to leave one inch margin on the left-hand side, to allow of binding. Proper names should be written in ROMAN TYPE.
The office of the Society is at present Government Buildings, Wellington New Zealand.
The price of back numbers of the Journal, to members, is 2s. 6d.
Vols. i, ii, and iii are out of print.
MEMBERS OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY.
1st of January, 1900.
The sign * before a name indicates an original member or founder.
As this list will be published annually, the Secretaries would feel obliged if members will supply any omissions, or notify change of residence.
- Liliuokalani, ex-Queen of Hawaii, Honolulu, Sandwich Islands
- Rev. R. H. Codrington, D.D., Wadhurst Rectory, Sussex, England
- Rev. Prof. A. H. Sayce, M.A., Queen's College, Oxford, England
- Hon. J. G. Ward, M.H.R., Wellington, N.Z.
- Right Hon. Prof. F. Max Müller, M.A., P.C., F.R.S., Oxford. England
- Sir James Hector, K.C.M.G., F.R.S., Wellington, N.Z.
- Professor H. H. Giglioli, Florence, Italy
- Prof. Otis T. Mason, A.M., Ph.D., Smithsonian Institution, National Museum, Washington, U.S.A.
- Rev. T. G. Hammond, Patea, Taranaki, N.Z.
- W. Te Kahui Kararehe, Rahotu, Taranaki, N.Z.
- Te One Rene Rawiri Te Mamaru, Moeraki, Otago, N.Z.
- Rev. Mohi Turei. Waiapu, N.Z.
- Takaanui-Tarakawa, Te Puke, Maketu, N.Z.
- Karipa-Te-Whetu, Whangarae, Nelson, N.Z.
- Tiwai Paraone, Miranda, Auckland, N.Z.
- Aporo-Te-Kumeroa, Greytown, N.Z.
- F. W. Christian, Tenterfield House, Putney Hill, London, S.W.
- Hare Hongi, Hawera, N.Z.
- Wiremu Kauika, Waitotara N.Z.
- Tati Salmon, Papara, Tahiti.
- Pa-ariki, Ngatangiia, Rarotonga.
- Rev. J. E. Moultan, Newington College, Stanmore, Sydney.
- * Atkinson, A. S., F.L.S., Nelson, N.Z.
- * Adams, C. W., Survey Office, Blenheim, N.Z.
- * Alexander, Dr. E. W., F.R.G.S., Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Alexander, Hon. W. D., F.R.G.S., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Aldred, W. A., Wellington, N.Z.
- Atkinson, Ronald, Wellington, N.Z.
- Aitken, J. G. W., Wellington, N.Z.
- Atkinson, W. E., Naikorokoro, Fiji
- * Broderick, J. N., Timaru. N.Z.
- * Birch, W. J., Erewhon, Napier, N.Z.
- * Blair, J. R., Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Barron, A., Survey Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Best, Elsdon, Rua-tahuna. Rotorua, N.Z.
- * Bishop, Hon. C. R., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Buller, Sir W. L., K.C.M.G., F.R.S., Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
- Bate, A. T., Wellington, N.Z.
- Battley, R. T., Moawhango, N.Z.
- Bamford, E., Auckland, N.Z.
- Benn, H. R., Galatea, N.Z.
- Bettany, J. H., Marton, N.Z.
- Buchanan, W. C., M.H.R., Brandspeth, N.Z.
- Beetham, W., Masterton, N.Z.
- Bonar, W., Surprise Island
- Billings, Dr. J. S., Director New York Public Library, New York
- Burnett, Frank, Vancouver
- Broderick, W. T., Omaramutu, Opotiki
- Blackwood, L., Inspector of Machinery, Auckland
- Brown, Rev. C. Crisp, Te Ngae, Rotorua
- Bennett, Rev. F., Te Aute
- * Chapman, F. R., Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Cowie, Right Rev. W. G., D.D., Primate of N.Z., Bishopscourt, Auckland N.Z.
- * Carroll, A., M.A., M.D., St. Kilda, Koogarrah, Sydney, N.S.W.
- * Chalmers, Rev. James, F.R.G.S., New Guinea
- * Crompton, A., Port Adelaide, Adelaide, S.A.
- * Carkeek, Morgan, Otaki, N.Z.
- Claxton, Rev. A. E., Chung King, Hankow, China
- Chambers, W. K., Repongaere, Gisborne, N.Z.
- Carter, H. C., 233 Fifth Avenue, New York
- Comins, Rev. R. Blundell, Norfolk Island
- Chapman, M., Wellington, N.Z.
- Cooper, Rev. E. V., Leone, Tutuila, Samoa
- Caddick, Miss H., c/o A. Caddick, Esq., Glenfield, Sutton Coalfield, England
- Cooper, Theo., Auckland, N.Z.
- Castle, G. P., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Churchill, W., Denver, Col., U.S.A.
- Compton, Rev. A. W. H., Opunake
- Davies, Henry, Napier, N.Z.
- * Denniston, The Hon. J. E., Christchurch, N.Z.
- D'Albertis, Captain, E. A., Genoa, Italy
- Dulau & Co., 37, Soho Square, London
- Doty, W. Lamb, U.S. Consul, Tahiti.
- Dufaur, E. T., Auckland, N.Z.
- Duthie, J., M.H.R., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Emerson, J. S., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Emerson, Dr. N. B., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Ewen, C. A., Wellington, N.Z.
- Edger, F. H., Judge N.L.C., Auckland, N.Z.
- * Fraser, J., LL.D., Newland St., Waverley, N.S.W.
- * Fraser, D., Bulls, Rangitikei, Wellington, N.Z.
- Friedlander, R., Carlstrasse 11, Berlin, N.W.
- Friedlaender, Dr. B., Regenten Strasse 8, Berlin, W.
- Fletcher, Rev. H. J., Taupo, N.Z.
- Forbes, E. J., 40, Hunter Street, Sydney
- * Gold-Smith, E. C., Survey Office, Napier, N.Z.
- * Grace, L. M., Taupo, N.Z.
- * Gudgeon, Lieut.-Col. W. E., British Resident, Rarotonga Island
- Gunn, Rev. W., D D., Futuna, New Hebrides
- Gordon, H. A., F.G.S., Auckland, N.Z.
- Garnier, J. H., Rarotonga Island
- Gully, H. V., Nelson, N.Z.
- Gurr, C. W., Apia, Samoa Islands.
- * Hursthouse, C. W., Te Kuiti, Auckland, N.Z.
- * Hocken, Dr. T. M., F.L.S., Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Hamilton, A., Otago University, Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Hyde, Rev. C. M., D.D., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- * Henry, Miss Teuira, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Harding, R. Coupland, Wellington, N.Z.
- Harris, Christopher, Auckland, N.Z.
- Hislop, J., Hawera, N.Z.
- Harper, W. R., Ashfield, Sydney
- Hutchin, Rev. J. J. K., Rarotonga.
- Hastie, Miss J. A., 11, Ashburn Place, Cromwell Road, London
- Handley, J., Okehu, N.Z.
- Hutton, Capt. F. W., F.R.S., Christchurch, N.Z.
- Iorns, William, Masterton
- * Johnston, Dr. D. G., Carterton, N.Z.
- * Johnston, H. Dunbar, Judge N.L. Court, Auckland, N.Z.
- Jackson, F. Arthur, M.B.A.Asso., F.I.Inst., Jackson Dale, Fiji Islands
- * Kenny, Hon. C. W. A. T., M.L.C., Picton, N.Z.
- * Kensington, W. C., Survey Office, Auckland, N.Z.
- Kühl, W. H., W-Jäger Strasse, Berlin
- Kenny, W. T., H.M. Consul General, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- King, John, Gisborne
- * Lawrence, Rev. W. N., Aitutaki Island
- * Large, J. T., Aitutaki Island
- * Laing, R. M., M.A., High School, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Leggatt, Rev. T. W. Watt, Malikula, New Hebrides
- Lambert, H. A., Tane, Pahiatua, N.Z.
- Leslie, G., Government Insurance Department, Wellington
- * Murray, Rev. C., M.A., Carterton, N.Z.
- * Marshall, W S., Pemberton, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Moss, F. J., Auckland, N.Z.
- * Morpeth, W. T., Survey Department, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Major, C. E., Hawera, N.Z.
- * MacDonald, Rev. Dr. D., Efate, New Hebrides
- Mitchell, F. J., Home Rule, N.S.W.
- McArthur, J. P., McArthur & Co., Sydney, N.S.W.
- * Mackay, A., Judge N.L.C., Wellington, N.Z.
- Mackay, A. W., Newington College, Stanmore, Sydney
- March, H. Colley, M.D., F.S.A., Portesham, Dorchester, England
- Mair, Captain G. W., F.L.S., Thames, N.Z.
- Maginnis, Craig, Tonga Island
- McCullock, W. F., Fairmount Park, Hawthorne, Victoria
- Marshall, J. W., Marton, N.Z.
- Marshall, H. H., Marton, N.Z.
- Mason, Dr. J. M., Otaki, N.Z.
- McNab, R., M.H.R., Gore, N.Z.
- Maunsell, R., Masterton, N.Z.
- Maclaurin, Professor, Victoria College, Wellington
- Mahupuku, Hamiora, Papawai, Wairarapa
- Martin, Josiah, F.G.S., Auckland
- * Nelson, C. E., Rotorua, Auckland,
- Nicholas, H., Rarotonga Island N.Z.
- Nathan, D. J., Wellington, N.Z.
- Newell, Rev. J. E., Malua, Apia,
- Nairn, F. E., Hastings, H.B., N.Z.
- Ngata, A. T., M.A., LL.B., Auckland, N.Z.
- Oahu College, Honolulu, Sandwich Islands
- * Phillips, Coleman, Featherstone, N.Z.
- * Pope, J. H., Education Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- Pratt, T., M.H.R., Moeraki, Otago, N.Z.
- Pritt, Rev. F. G., Gairlock, Brisbane, Queensland
- Partington, J. Edge, F.R.G.S., British Museum, London, England
- * Rutland, Joshua, Canvastown, Marlborough, N.Z.
- * Reid, W. S., Fitzherbert Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Roy, R. B., Taita, Wellington, N.Z.
- Redwood, J. H., Blenheim, N.Z.
- * Smith, W. W., F.E.S., Ashburton, Canterbury, N.Z.
- * Shand, A., Chatham Islands
- * Smith, H. G. Seth, M.A., Auckland, N.Z.
- * Smith, F. S., Kaikoura, N.Z.
- * Smith, M. C., Survey Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Smith, S. Percy, F.R.G.S., Survey Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Stout, Hon. Sir R., K.C.M.G., Wellington, N.Z.
- Skinner, W. H., Survey Department, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Saxton, Henry Waring, F.L.S., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Scannell, D., Judge N.L.C., Auckland, N.Z.
- Smith, T. H., Grafton Road, Auckland, N.Z.
- Scott, Prof. J. H., M.D., F.R.S.E., Otago University, Dunedin, N.Z.
- Stainton, G., Rongomai, Pahiatua, N.Z.
- Smith, Hon. W. O., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Turnbull, A H., Bowen Street, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Tregear, E., F.R.Hist.S., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Tone, N. J., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Testa, F. J., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Trimble, W. H., Survey Department, Gisborne, N.Z.
- Tinline, J., Nelson, N.Z.
- Tait, P. W., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Webster, J., Kokianga, N.Z.
- * Wilkinson, G. T., Otorohanga, Auckland, N.Z.
- * Wheeler, W. J., Gisborne, N.Z.
- * Weetman, S., F.R.G.S., Christchnrch, N.Z.
- * Williams, Right Rev. W. L., B.A., Bishop of Waiapu, Napier, N.Z.
- Williams, Rev. H. W., Gisborne, N.Z.
- * Wilson, D. C., Whangarei, Auckland, N.Z.
- * Wright, A. B., Survey Department, Auckland, N.Z.
- Williams, J. N., Frimley, Hastings, Hawke's Bay, N.Z.
- White, Taylor, Wimbledon, Hawke's Bay, N.Z.
- Wilson, A., Whangarei, N.Z.
- Wilcox, Hon. G. N., Kauai, Hawaiian Islands
- Watt, Rev. W., Tanna, New Hebrides
- Watt, F. F., Rotorua, N.Z.
- Williams, F. W., Napier, N.Z.
- Wallis, F., Right Rev., Bishop of Wellington. N.Z.
- Woodworth, W. McM., Museum Comp. Zoology, Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
- * Young, J. L., Tahiti Island
ANNUAL MEETING OF THE SOCIETY.
THE annual meeting was held in the Lecture Room, Museum, Wellington, on the 23rd January, Mr. C. A. Ewen in the chair.
The annual report and accounts were read and passed, and ordered to be printed in the March number of the Journal.
Mr. J. H. Pope was re-elected President, and Messrs Tone, Tregear and Smith re-leected members of Council. Messrs. Tregear and Smith were re-elected Hon. Secretaries and Treasurers, and Mr. A. Barron Hon. Auditor.
Professor H. H. Giglioli, of Florence (Italy), was elected an Honorary Member.
A vote of thanks to the Chairman concluded the meeting.
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE COUNCIL FOR THE YEAR ENDING DECEMBER, 31ST 1899.
Presented at the Eighth Annual Meeting, January 23rd, 1900, in terms of Rule No. 13.
IN presenting the Eighth Annual Report, the Council have to remark that nothing of particular importance requires the notice of the Society.
Our losses by death during the year have been fewer than usual—Mr. Haggard, one of our ordinary members, died, as also did the Rev. Samuel Ella, one of our corresponding members, whose loss will be much felt, for he was ever ready to render help from the large stores of information relating to Polynesian matters, which he acquired during a long residence in Polynesia.
We have also lost through resignation eight ordinary members, and ten have been struck off for non-payment of their subscriptions. The strength of the Society on the 17th January was as follows:—
The above figures show a dimunition on those of the present year of 18 members.
The Journal has been published with tolerable regularity each quarter of the year, and forms a volume of 271 pages (without index), being 23 pages more than for the previous period. The first three volumes of our Transactions are now out of print; those, therefore, remaining in the hands of members have acquired a considerable value. The first six volumes of the Transactions were sold at auction not long since for a price of 10 10s., proving that the Journal has acquired a value considerably above the subscription.
In financial matters the Society holds its own, notwithstanding that 24 members were in arrear with their subscriptions on the 31st December, a sum which, had it been paid, would have enabled the Council to refund to Capital Account the amount borrowed the previous year to pay for copying the Micronesian Vocabularies. The accounts attached show that we commenced the year with a balance of £16 14s. 5d., and end with one of £4 3s. 11d., whilst the Capital Account stands at £58 7s. 3d.
Reference has previously been made to the large amount of original matter still on hand and awaiting publication, most of it untranslated. It is hoped that some of it may be prepared during the coming year, for these original texts will prove of more and more value as time goes on. The aim of the Society is to preserve these texts in print for future generations, when the writers have passed away, together with the language in which they are expressed. If we succeed in doing this, the Society will not have existed in vain.
S. PERCY SMITH, Hon. Secretaries.
ED. TREGEAR, Hon. Secretaries.