JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY
CONTAINING THE TRANSACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY.
Vol. XIV. 1905.
WELLINGTON, N.Z.: PRINTED FOR THE SOCIETY BY WHITCOMBE AND TOMBS LIMITED, LAMBTON QUAY. 1906 Reprinted with the permission of The Polynesian Society JOHNSON REPRINT CORPORATION 111 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10003 JOHNSON REPRINT COMPANY LTD. Berkeley Square House, London, W.1
UNIVERSITY OF AUCKLAND LIBRARY
MAORI RESOURCE ROOM
First reprinting, 1967, Johnson Reprint Corporation
Printed in the United States of America
CONTENTS OF VOL. XIV.
No. 53.—March, 1905.
- Constitution of the Society, List of Officers and Members v–x
- List of Exchanges xi
- Annual Meeting xiii
- Annual Report of the Council xiii
- Balance Sheet xv
- Maori Medical Lore. By Elsdon Best 1
- Principles of Samoan Word-composition. By William Churchill, B.A. 24
- Notes and Queries (175–177) 46
No. 54.—June, 1905.
- Mana Tangata. By Lieut.-Col. Gudgeon, C.M.G. 49
- Te Hekenga a Kahu-hunu. Na Pango-te-Whare-Auahi 67
- The Migration of Kahu-hunu (translation.) By S. Percy Smith 81
- The Coming of Tainui. Related by Rihari Tauwhare 96
- The Iri Karakia. Told by Major Tunui-a-Rangi 100
- Notes and Queries (178) 102
- Transactions and Proceedings 104
No. 55.—September, 1905.
- Maori Religion. By Lieut.-Col. Gudgeo 107
- Some Whanganui Historical Notes. By S. Percy Smith 131
- Ngutu-Au. By George Graham 159
- The Canoe of Maui. By J. Cowan 161
- Notes and Queries (179–181) 163
- Transactions and Proceedings 165
No. 56.—December, 1905.
- Maori Superstition. By Lieut.-Col. Gudgeon 167
- The Last of the Ngati-Mamoe. By J. Cowan 193
- Te Korero mo Ngarara-Huarau. Na H. P. Tunui-a-Rangi 200
- The Story of Ngarara-Huarau (translation). By S. Percy Smith 202
- The Lore of the Whare-Kohanga. By Elsdon Best. Part I. 205
- Genealogical Line from Io 210
- The Hunakeha Tree. By W. T. Morpeth 216
- Origin of the Ta-tatau or Heraldic Marks at Aitutaki Island. By Lieut.-Col. Gudgeon 217
- Notes and Queries (182–184) 219
- iv Page is blank
OFFICERS FOR 1905.
His Excellency, Lord Plunket, Governor of New Zealand.
S. Percy Smith, F.R.G.S.
- M. Fraser.
- W. L. Newman.
- W. H. Skinner.
- W. Kerr.
- F. P. Corkill
- W. H. Parker.
Joint Hon. Secretaries and Treasurers, and Editors of Journal:
W. H. Skinner and Wm. Kerr.
THE Society is formed to promote the study of the Anthropology, Ethnology, Philology, History and Antiquities of the Polynesian races, by the publication of an official journal, to be called “The Journal of the Polynesian Society,” and by the collection of books, manuscripts, photographs, relics, and other illustrations of the history of the Polynesian race.
The term “Polynesia” is intended to include Australia, New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Malaysia, as well as Polynesia proper.
Candidates for admission to the Society shall be admitted on the joint recommendation of a member of the Society and a member of the Council, and on the approval of the Council.
Every person elected to membership shall receive immediate notice of the same from the Secretaries, and shall receive a copy of the Rules, and on payment of his subscription of one pound shall be entitled to all the benefits of membership. Subscriptions are payable in advance, on the 1st January of each year, or on election.
Papers will be received on any of the above subjects if sent through a member. Authors are requested to write only on one side of the paper, to use quarto paper, and to leave one inch margin on the left-hand side, to allow of binding. Proper names should be written in ROMAN TYPE.
The office of the Society is at present at NEW PLYMOUTH, New Zealand.
The price of back numbers of the Journal, to members, is 2s 6d.
Vols. i, ii, iii, and iv are out of print.
Members and exchanges are requested to note the change in the Society's Office from Wellington to New Plymouth, to which all communications, books, exchanges, &c., should be sent, addressed to the Hon. Secretaries.
- vi Page is blank
MEMBERS OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY.
as at 1st January, 1905.
The sign * before a name indicates an original member or founder.
As this list will be published annually, the Secretaries would feel obliged if members will supply any omissions, or notify change of residence.
- Liliuokalani, ex-Queen of Hawaii, 1588, 21st Street, Washington, U.S.A.
- Rev. R. H. Codrington, D.D., Chichester, England
- Rev. Prof. A. H. Sayce, M.A., Queen's College, Oxford, England
- Hon. Sir J. G. Ward, K.C.M.G., M.H.R., Wellington, N.Z.
- Sir James Hector, K.C.M.G., F.R.S., Petone, Wellington, N.Z.
- Professor H. H. Giglioli, Museo Zoologico, 19, via Romana, Florence, Italy
- H. G. Seth-Smith, M.A., Chief Judge N.L. Court, Auckland, N.Z.
- Prof. W. Baldwin Spencer, M.A., The University, Melbourne (8/3/04)
- Prof. A. H. Keane, F.R.G.S., “Aram Gah,” 79, Broadhurst Gardens, South Hamstead, London, N.W.
- Prof. Otis T. Mason, A.M., Ph.D., Smithsonian Institution, National Museum, Washington, U.S.A.
- Rev. T. G. Hammond, Patea, Taranaki, N.Z.
- Te One Rene Rawiri Te Mamaru, Moeraki, Otago, N.Z.
- Rev. Mohi Turei, Waiapu, N.Z.
- Takaanui Tarakawa, Te Puke, Maketu, N.Z.
- Karipa Te Whetu, Whangarae, Croixelles, Nelson, N.Z.
- Tiwai Paraone, Miranda, Auckland, N.Z.
- Aporo Te Kumeroa, Greytown, N.Z.
- Hare Hongi, Wellington, N.Z.
- Wiremu Kauika, Waitotara N.Z.
- Tati Salmon, Papara, Tahiti.
- Pa-ariki, Ngatangiia, Rarotonga.
- Rev. J. E. Moultan, Nukualofa, Tonga Island.
- Churchill, W., B.A., Fale'ula, East 12th Street, near King's Highway, Brooklyn N.Y., U.S.A.
- Cognet, Rev. Claud, S.M., Okato, N.Z.
- Tunui-a-rangi, Major H. P., Turanganui, Martinborough, N.Z.
- * Adams, C. W., 9, Telford Terrace, Oriental Bay, Wellington
- * Alexander, Dr. E. W., F.R.G.S., Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Alexander, W. D., F.R.G.S., D.Sc., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Aldred, W. A., Bank of New Zealand, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Aitken, J. G. W., M.H.R., Wellington, N.Z.
- Ashcroft, R. H., Esq., c/o Taupo Totara Timber Co., Mokai, via Putaruru, N.Z
- Atkinson, W. E., Whanganui, N.Z.
- * Birch, W. J., Marton, N.Z.
- * Blair, J. R., Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Barron, A., Land for Settlement Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Best, Elsdon, Ruatoki, Rotorua, N.Z.
- Buller, Sir W. L., K.C.M.G., F.R.S., Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
- Battley, R. T., Moawhango, N.Z.
- Bamford, E., Auckland, N.Z.
- Benn, H. R., Rotorua, N.Z.
- Buchanan, W. C., M.H.R., Carterton, N.Z.
- Bennett, Rev. F. A., Rotorua, N.Z.
- British and Foreign Bible Society, 114, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C.
- Browne, A. H., Rarotonga
- Brown, Mrs. J., Kohimarama, Auckland
- Brown, Prof. J. McMillan, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Boston City Library, Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
- * Chapman, His Honour F. R., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Carroll, A., M.A., M.D., Denbeigh Ho., Koogarrah, Sydney, N.S.W.
- * Carkeek, Morgan, Otaki, N.Z.
- Chambers, W. K., Repongaere, Gisborne, N.Z.
- Carter, H. C., 475, West 143rd Street, New York
- Comins, Ven. Archdeacon R. Blundell, Norfolk Island
- Chapman, M., Wellington, N.Z.
- Cooper, His Honour Theo., Wellington, N.Z.
- Coates, J., National Bank of N.Z., Wellington, N.Z.
- Corkill, F. P., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Clarke, A. E. A., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Clark, Patrick, c/o Wilkie & Co., Dunedin, N.Z.
- Chatterton, Rev. F. W., Te Rau, Gisborne
- Cole, Ven. Archdeacon R. H., D.C.L., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Denniston, His Honour J. E., Christchurch, N.Z.
- Davies, Henry, Tennyson St., Napier, N.Z.
- Dulau & Co., 37, Soho Square, London
- Drummond, James, “Lyttelton Times” Office, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Donne, T. A., Tourist Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- Dixon, Ronald B., Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
- * Emerson, J. S., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Ewen, C. A., N.Z. Insurance Co., Wellington, N.Z.
- Edger, F. H., Judge N.L.C., Auckland, N.Z.
- * Fraser, D., Bulls, Rangitikei, Wellington, N.Z.
- Friedlander, R., Carlstrasse 11 Berlin, N.W.
- Friedlaender, Dr. B., Regenten Strasse 8, Berlin, W.
- Fletcher, Rev. H. J., Taupo, N.Z.
- Forbes, E. J., 8, Spring Street, Sydney, N.S.W.
- Fraser, M., New Plymouth, N.Z.,
- Fisher, T. W., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Frear, Chief Judge, W. F., Honolulu, Hawaii
- Frith, John F., Survey Office, New Plymouth.
- Fowlds, G., M.H.R., Auckland, N.Z.
- Fenwick, Geo., “Otago Daily Times,” Dunedin
- * Grace, L. M., N.L.P. Dept., Government Buildings, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Gudgeon, Lieut.-Col. W. E., C.M.G., Govt. Resident, Rarotonga
- Gordon, H. A., F.G.S., Auckland, N.Z.
- Gurr, E. W., Chief Judge, Pagopago, Samoa.
- Gill, W. H., Kobe, Japan.
- Graham, Geo., c/o Wynyard & Purchas, Auckland, N.Z.
- Gray, M. H., A.R.S.M., F.G.S., &c., Lessness Park, Abbeywood, Kent, England
- Haddon, A. C., D.Sc., F.R.S., Inisfail, Hills Road, Cambridge, England
- * Hursthouse, C. W., Roads Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Hocken, Dr. T. M., F.L.S., Dunedin, N.Z.
- * Hamilton, A., Museum, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Henry, Miss Teuira, Little Britain, Sheridan Street, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Harding, R. Coupland, Wellington, N.Z.
- Hutchin, Rev. J. J. K., Rarotonga Island
- Hastie, Miss J. A., 11, Ashburn Place, Cromwell Road, London
- Hutton, Capt. F. W., F.R.S., Christchurch, N.Z.
- Hughes, R. C., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Iorns, William, Masterton, N.Z.
- * Johnson, H. Dunbar, Judge N.L. Court, Whanganui, N.Z.
- Jollie, Mrs., Edinboro Road, Riccarton, Christchurch, N.Z.
- * Kenny, Hon. C. W. A. T., M.L.C., Picton, N.Z.
- Kühl, W. H., W-Jäger Strasse, 73, Berlin
- King, John, Gisborne, N.Z.
- Kerr, W., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Kelly, Hon. T., M.L.C., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Lawrence, Rev. W. N., Aitutaki Island, Rarotonga
- * Large, Major J. T., Mangaia Island, Rarotonga
- * Laing, R. M., M.A., High School, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Leggatt, Rev. T. W. Watt, Malikula, New Hebrides
- Lambert, H. A., Tane, Pahiatua, N.Z.
- Leslie, G., Government Buildings, Wellington, N.Z.
- Lethbridge, F. Y., M.H.R., Feilding, N.Z.
- * Marshall, W. S., Te Hekenga, Pemberton, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Morpeth, W. T., Survey Department, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Major, C. E., M.H.R., Hawera, N.Z.
- * MacDonald, Rev. Dr. D., Efate, New Hebrides
- * Mackay, A., Feilding, N.Z.
- Mitchell, F. J., Home Rule, Mudgee, N.S.W.
- Mackay, Captain A. W., Bathurst, N.S.W.
- March, H. Colley, M.D., F.S.A., Portesham, Dorchester, England
- Mair, Captain G. W., F.L.S., Wellington, N.Z.
- Marshall, J. W., Tututotara, Marton, N.Z.
- Marshall, H. H., Motu-kowhai, Marton, N.Z.
- McNab, R., M.H.R., Gore, N.Z.
- Maunsell, R., Eridge, Masterton, N.Z.
- Maclaurin, Professor, Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z.
- Martin, Josiah, F.G.S., Auckland, N.Z.
- Marchant, J. W. A., Surveyor General of N.Z., Wellington
- Mackintosh, Rev. Canon A., F.R.G.S., Honolulu, Hawaii
- Malone, W. G., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Matthews, H. J. Chief Forester of N.Z., Wellington
- * Nelson, C. E., Rotorua, Auckland, N.Z.
- Nathan, D. J., Wellington, N.Z.
- Newell, Rev. J. E., Malua, Samoa.
- Nairn, F. E., Hastings, H.B., N.Z.
- Ngata, A. T., M.A., LL.B., Awaroa, Gisborne, N.Z.
- New York Public Library, Astor Library Buildings, New York
- Newman, W. L., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Oahu College, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Peebles, James M., Glenavy, South Canterbury
- * Phillips, Coleman, Featherston, N.Z.
- * Pope, J. H., Education Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- Pritt, Archdeacon, F. G., Gairlock, Brisbane, Queensland
- Partington, J. Edge, F.R.G.S., British Museum, London, England
- Pomare, Dr. M. H. P. N., Health Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- Parker, J. H., New Plymouth.
- Reeve, Wellwood, Tologa Bay, Gisborne N.Z.
- * Rutland, Joshua, Canvastown, Marlborough, N.Z.
- * Roy, R. B., Taita, Wellington, N.Z.
- Reweti, Ru, Opua, Auckland, N.Z.
- Roy, J. B., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Roberts, W. H. S. Newborough, Oamaru
- * Smith, W. W., F.E.S., Ashburton, Canterbury, N.Z.
- * Shand, A., Chatham Islands
- * Smith, F. S., Gisborne, N.Z.
- * Smith, M. C., Survey Department, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Smith, S. Percy, F.R.G.S., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Smith, H. Guthrie, Kaimoe, Patutahi, Gisborne
- * Stout, Hon. Sir R., K.C.M.G., Chief Justice, Wellington, N.Z.
- * Skinner, W. H., Survey Department, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Saxton, Henry Waring, F.L.S., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Smith, T. H., Grafton Road, Auckland, N.Z.
- Scott, Prof. J. H., M.D., F.R.S.E., Otago University, Dunedin, N.Z.
- Stainton, W., Mokoia, Woodville, N.Z.
- Smith, Hon. W. O., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Spencer, W. E., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Samuel, Oliver, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Tregear, E., F.R.Hist.S., Wellington, N.Z.
- * Testa, F. J., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Turnbull, A. H., Bowen Street, Wellington, N.Z.
- Tinline, J., Nelson, N.Z.
- Way, Right Hon. Sir Samuel James, Bart., P.C., Chief Justice, Adelaide, S.A.
- * Webster, J., Hokianga, N.Z.
- * Wilkinson, G. T., Otorohanga, Auckland, N.Z.
- * Wheeler, W. J., Survey Office, Auckland, N.Z.
- * Williams, Right Rev. W. L., D.D., Bishop of Waiapu, Napier, N.Z.
- * Wright, A. B., Survey Department, Auckland, N.Z.
- Williams, Rev. H. W., M.A., Gisborne, N.Z.
- Williams, J. N., Frimley, Hastings, Hawke's Bay, N.Z.
- White, Taylor, Wimbledon, Hawke's Bay, N.Z.
- Wilson, A., Survey Office, Auckland, N.Z.
- Wilcox, Hon. G. N., Kauai, Hawaiian Islands
- Watt, Rev. W., Tanna, New Hebrides
- Williams, F. W., Napier, N,Z.
- Wallis, Right Rev. F., D.D., Bishop of Wellington, N.Z.
- Whitney, James L., Public Library, Dartmouth, Boston, U.S.A.
- Woodworth, W. McM., Museum Comp. Zoology, Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
- Webster, W. D., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Walker, Ernest A., M.D., New Plymouth, N.Z.
- * Young, J. L., c/o Henderson & Macfarlane, Auckland, N.Z.
PRESIDENTS (Past and Present).
- 1892-1894—H. G. Seth-Smith, M.A.
- 1895-1896—Right Rev. W. L. Williams, M.A., D.D.
- 1897-1898—The Rev. W. T. Habens, B.A.
- 1899-1900—J. H. Pope.
- 1901-1903—E. Tregear, F.R.H.S., &c.
- 1904-1905—S. Percy Smith, F.R.G.S.
LIST OF EXCHANGES.
THE following is the list of Societies, &c., &c., to which the Journal is sent, and from most of which we receive exchanges. There is a tacit understanding that several Public Institutions are to receive our publications free, so long as the New Zealand Government allows our correspondence, &c., to go free by post.
- Agent-General of New Zealand, 13 Victoria Street, Westminster, London, S.W.
- Anthropologische, Ethnographische, etc., etc., Gesellschraft, Vienna, Austria.
- Anthropologie, Société d', 15, Rue Ecole de Medicin, Paris.
- Anthropologia, Museo Zoologica, Florence, Italy.
- Anthropological Society of Australia, c/o Board of International Exchanges Sydney.
- Anthropological Institute of Great Britain, 3 Hanover Square, London, W.
- Anthropologie, École d', 15 Rue Ecole de Medicin, Paris.
- Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, University, Sydney.
- Aute (Te) Students Association, The College, Te Aute, Hawke's Bay, N.Z.
- American Oriental Society, 235, Bishop Street, Newhaven, Conn., U.S.A.
- Bataviaasch Genootschap, Batavia, Java.
- Buddhist Text Society, 86/2 Jaun Bazaar Street, Calcutta.
- Blenheim Literary Institute, Blenheim, N.Z.
- Bureau of American Ethnology, Smithsonian Institution, Washington.
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Honolulu, H.I.
- Canadian Institute, 46 Richmond Street East, Toronto.
- Cambridge Philosophical Society, Cambridge, England.
- Faculté des Sciences de Marseilles, Marseilles, France.
- General Assembly Library, Wellington, N.Z.
- Géographie, Société de, de Paris, Boulvard St. Germain 184, Paris.
- Historical Society, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands.
- Institute, The Auckland, Museum, Auckland, N.Z.
- Institute, The Philosophical, Christchurch, N.Z.
- Institute, The Philosophical, Wellington, N.Z.
- Institute, The Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
- Japan Society, 20 Hanover Square, London, W.
- Kongl, Vitterhets Historie och Antiqvitete Akademen, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Koninklijk Instituut, 14, Van Galenstraat, The Hague, Holland.
- Literary and Historical Society, Quebec, Canada.
- Museum, Christchurch.
- Museum, The Australian, Sydney.
- Minister of Education, Wellington.
- Minister, Right Hon. the Premier, Wellington.
- Minister, Hon. The Colonial Secretary, Wellington.
- Na Mata, Editor, Suva, Fiji.
- Public Library, New Plymouth, N.Z.
- Public Library, Auckland.
- Public Library, Wellington.
- Public Library, Melbourne.
- Public Library, Sydney.
- Peet, Rev. S. D., Ph.D., Editor of “The American Antiquarian,” 5817, Madison Avenue, Chicago.
- Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Cambridge, U.S.A.
- Reading Room, Rotorua, N.Z.
- Royal Geographical Society, 1 Saville Row, London.
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, Brisbane.
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, c/o G. Collingridge, Waronga N.S.W
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, 70 Queen Street, Melbourne.
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, Adelaide.
- Royal Society, Burlington House, London.
- Royal Society of New South Wales, 5 Elizabeth Street, Sydney.
- Royal Asiatic Society of Bengal, 87 Park Street, Calcutta.
- Royal Colonial Institute, Northumberland Avenue, London.
- Real Academia de Ciencias y Artes, Barcelona, Spain.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington.
- Société Neuchateloise de Géographie, Neuchâtel, Switzerland.
- Secretary, General Post Office, Wellington.
- Secretary (Under) Colonial Secretary's Department, Wellington.
- Secretary (Under) Justice (Native), Wellington.
- Wisconsin Academy of Science and Arts, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
ANNUAL MEETING OF THE SOCIETY,
Held at New Plymouth, N.Z., 31st March, 1905.
THE adjourned Annual Meeting was held as above, the President (Mr. S. Percy Smith) in the chair, the following members being present:—Messrs. W. L. Newman, W. Kerr, J. H. Parker, F. P. Corkill, W. D. Webster, and W. H. Skinner.
The Minutes of the last Annual Meeting, together with the Annual Report and Balance Sheet, were read and confirmed, and ordered to be printed in the next Journal.
The following officers were elected for the ensuing year:—President, S. Percy Smith; Secretary, W. L. Newman; Council, Messrs. W. Kerr, M. Frazer, and W. L. Newman; Hon. Auditor, W. D. Webster.
The following new members were elected:—
- 366. Honorary Member—Professor A. H. Keane, F.R.G.S., “Aram gah,” 79, Broadhurst Gardens, South Hampstead, London, N.W.
- 367. Corresponding Member—Major H. P. Tunui-a-rangi, Turanganui, Martinborough, N.Z.
- 368. Ordinary Member—R. H. Ashcroft, care of Taupo Timber Company, Litchfield, N.Z.
At a previous Council meeting, Mr. W. H. S. Roberts (365), of Newborough, Oamaru, N.Z., was elected an ordinary member.
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE COUNCIL, FOR THE YEAR ENDING 31st DECEMBER, 1904.
Presented to the adjourned Annual Meeting, 31st March, 1905, in terms of Rule No. 31.
IN presenting its Thirteenth Annual Report the Council desires to congratulate members on the continued well-being of the Society. No incident of any importance has marked our proceedings, but matters have, as ever, gone smoothly on, whilst we may fairly claim that the object for which the Society was founded has made some progress. Our quarterly Journal has appeared not quite so regularly as during the preceeding year, due to the continued absence of the Editor, but it is hoped that the ensuing year will see a return to its normal conditions in that respect. Volume XIII. contains a few more pages than the preceeding one, and a good many illustrations. It has often been stated that the size of the Journal might be increased, as there is plenty of matter on hand, if some of our members would assist in translating the many papers we possess, some of which are of great value, and should be rendered available for members. There are over twenty members of the Society who are competent Maori scholars, and who might undertake some of this, and thus relieve the Editor of some of this onerous work.
The Society has, for some years, been without a Patron—indeed, ever since Her Majesty Liliuokalani, ex-Queen of Hawaii, ceased to hold her high office as Queen of that group—but during the year His Excellency Lord Plunket, Governor of New Zealand, has most graciously consented to accept this office.
In our last year's report we referred to the new Maori Dictionary, which the Rev. H. W. Williams has in hand. We learn that fair progress is being made in the matter, and that many contributions from gentlemen who have made collections of words have been received, and others promised. As Mr. Williams proposes visiting Capetown during this year, advantage was taken of this opportunity to request the Right Hon. the Premier to put Mr. Williams in communication with the Premier of the Cape, with a view to his ascertaining the value of the Grey collection of Maori documents, now at the Capetown Library. It is hoped that the short time at Mr. William's disposal at the Cape will enable him to obtain some idea of what the value of the collection is for, at least, philological purposes.
We regret that death has removed some of our members during the year, amongst whom may be mentioned Te Kahui Kararehe, of Rahotu, Taranaki, a former contributor to the Journal; and John Fraser, LL.D., of Maitland, N.S.W., a frequent contributor to our Transactions.
On the 1st January, 1905, our numbers stood as follows:—
This shows a decline of six members as compared with the previous year, and is due to the fact of a considerable number of members having been struck off the roll for non-payment of subscriptions.
Our financial position is much as it was in previous periods, as a glance at the Accounts attached will show. Our total receipts (with balance from last year) were £179 8s. 3d., whilst the expenditure was £138 4s. 6d., leaving a balance in hand of £41 3s. 9d., all of which was required to meet liabilities. The Capital Account increased by £18 9s. 5d. The members in arrear were:—One year, 18; two years, 13; representing a sum amounting to £44.
- xvi Page is blank