THE JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY.
CONTAINING THE TRANSACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY.
VOL. XXXI. 1922.
New Plymouth, N.Z.: PRINTED FOR THE SOCIETY BY THOMAS AVERY & SONS LTD., DEVON STREET. 1922. Reprinted with the permission of The Polynesian Society JOHNSON REPRINT CORPORATION 111 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10003 JOHNSON REPRINT COMPANY LTD. Berkeley Square House, London, W. 1
First reprinting, 1967, Johnson Reprint Corporation
Printed in the United States of America
CONTENTS OF VOL. XXXI.
No. 121—MARCH, 1922.
- Annual Meeting of the Society i
- Annual Report of the Council i
- Balance Sheet iii
- Members of the Society iv
- List of Exchanges x
- Wahieroa and Rata. Translated by Elsdon Best 1
- A few of the Maori Wise Sayings from Lake Taupo. Collected by Rev. H. J. Fletcher 29
- Maori Somatology. By Te Rangi Hiroa (P. H. Buck), D.S.O., M.D. 37
- The Maori Philosophy of Life and Matter. Translated by S. Percy Smith 45
- Brief Notes on Some Ruins at Guam, Mariana or Ladrone Islands. By F. W. Goding 50
- The Ngutu-au. By Geo. Graham 53
- The Kaitaia Carving. By H. D. Skinner 57
- A Maori Dog-skin Cloak (Kaha Kuri). By G. J. Black 59
- Notes and Queries—
- Kava Drinking in South America 64
- Sending Messages in Santo Island, New Hebrides 64
- Error in “Notes on Tongan Religion” 64
- Proceedings 65
NO. 122.—JUNE, 1922.
- Stephenson Percy Smith Memorial Number—
- The Late Stephenson Percy Smith; By the Editor 67
- Memoir of Stephenson Percy Smith. By Edward Tregear 71
- Our Late President. By Elsdon Best 75
- Words of Farewell, Lament and Tribute to the Late Mr. S. P. Smith. By Hare Hongi 78
- A Lament for S. Percy Smith, F.R.G.S. By P. H. Buck, D.S.O., M.D., CH.B. 82
- An Appreciation. By H. D. Skinner 84
- Review 85
- Obituary 87
- To Members of the Society 89
- Proceedings 90
NO. 123.—SEPTEMBER, 1922.
- A Note on the Tokelau or Union Group. By S. Percy Smith 91
- Polynesian Linguistics. By A. Leverd 95
- Kauiki and Hana Traditions, Hawaiian Islands. Collected and Translated by T. G. Thrum 104
- A Legend of Whiro. By Elsdon Best 111
NO. 123.—SEPTEMBER Continued.
- Rua-Kopiha. By Geo. Graham 122
- “The Northern D'Entrecasteaux”—A Review. By H. D. Skinner 125
- Ancient Drains. By D. M. Wilson 130
- Traditions and Legends of Southland. By H. Beattie 134
- Maori Somatology. By Te Rangi Hiroa (P. H. Buck). D.S.O., M.D. 145
- Notes and Queries—
- Japanese influence in Micronesia 154
- Kaitaia Carving 154
- Mutilation of Fingers 154
- Methods of Flaking Stone 155
- Notes on the occurrence of Umu (Ovens) in the Warepa (Whare Pa) Survey District, Otago 155
- Proceedings 157
NO. 124.—DECEMBER, 1922.
- Maori Somatology. By Te Rangi Hiroa (P. H. Buck). D.S.O., M.D. 159
- Polynesian Linguistics. By A. Leverd 171
- A Type of Maori Carved Wooden Bowl. By H. D. Skinner 182
- The Speech of Niua Fo'ou. By E. E. V. Collocott, M.A., B.D. 185
- Te Heke-o-nga-toko-toru. By G. Graham 190
- Traditions and Legends of Southland. By H. Beattie 193
- A Kava Ceremony in Tonga. By Rev. M. A. Rugby Pratt 198
- He Waiata Whaka-tu Potaka. By George Graham 202
- The Late Stephenson Percy Smith 203
- “The Home of the Maori” 203
- Obituary 204
- Notes and Queries—
- Ngati-Hotu People 205
- Nose-pin among the Maoris 205
- Whiro 205
- Proceedings 207
ANNUAL MEETING OF THE SOCIETY FOR THE YEAR ENDING 31ST DECEMBER, 1921.
THE Annual Meeting of the Society took place on the 10th February, 1922, at the Library, Hempton Room, when some twenty members were present. In the absence of the President, through illness, Mr. W. H. Skinner occupied the chair.
After reading the minutes of last Annual Meeting and the Report of the Council, which was ordered to be printed (together with the accounts), the President, Mr. S. Percy Smith, having resigned in accordance with the rules, was again elected.
Two members of the Council were balloted out, but were re-elected.
Mr. H. Tribe was appointed Hon. Auditor for the year, and thanked for his past services.
A resolution of sympathy to the President and Editor of “Journal,” Mr. S. Percy Smith, in his indisposition and consequent absence from the Annual Meeting, was unanimously approved.
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE COUNCIL FOR THE YEAR ENDING 31ST DECEMBER, 1921.
THE Twenty-ninth Report will be very brief as the business of the Society has flowed on so smoothly that there is little to be said. Our quarterly “Journal” has issued regularly, and contains much matter of an original and valuable character, which but for our “Journal” would never have seen the light. Among the more valuable papers contributed to the “Journal” was that by Mr. Collocott on Tongan Religion—a subject about which little has previously appeared in print. The 30th Vol. is now completed. There has been a great demand for the early numbers, which we could rarely satisfy, and these demands come very largely from libraries and individuals in other countries.
Our Library continues to increase through the publications received by way of exchange, or gift, and visitors are frequent on the two afternoons the library is open.
The Council deeply regret to report the death of two valued members in Mr. C. A. Ewen, who was a member of the first Council of the Society, and Mr. W. L. Newman, a member of the Council and also our Treasurer for many years past. Mr. W. H. Skinner very kindly took over the duties meantime. During the year the Council elected 27 ordinary new members and 2 life members. Against this 9 members were struck off the roll for non-payment of subscriptions, while 2 resigned.
On the 31st December our members were as follow:—
An increase of 18 members since last year.
Our members will notice with satisfaction from the Treasurer's accounts that our financial position is better than it ever has been, which is largely due to the sale of back numbers of the “Journal.” With a balance of £80 we ought to work off some of the papers we have in hand, unluckily many of these require translation, and our translator is in anything but a fit state to undertake the work at present.
MEMBERS OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY AS FROM 1ST JANUARY, 1922.
The sign * before a name indicates an original member or founder.
As this list will be published annually, the Secretaries would be obliged if members will supply any omission, or notify change of address.
- The Right Hon. Baron Islington, K.C.M.G., D.S.O., ex-Governor of New Zealand, Government Office, Downing Street, London
- The Right Hon. The Earl of Liverpool, M.V.O., G.C.M.G., late Governor-General of New Zealand, Downing Street, London.
- Admiral of the Fleet His Excellency, Lord Jellicoe, G.C.B., O.M., G.C.V.O., Governor-General of New Zealand.
- Rev. R. H. Codrington, D.D., Chichester, England
- Rev. Prof. A. H. Sayce, M.A., Queen's College, Oxford, England
- Right Hon. Sir J. G. Ward, Bart, K.C.M.G., P.C., LL.D., Wellington
- *H. G. Seth-Smith, M.A., 88, Victoria Avenue, Remuera, Auckland
- Prof. Sir W. Baldwin Spencer, M.A., C.M.G., F.R.S., The University, Melbourne
- *Edward Tregear, I.S.O., Picton
- Dr. A. C. Haddon, M.A., D.Sc., F.R.S., 3, Cranmer Road, Cambridge, England
- Sir J. G. Frazer, D.C.L., LL.D., Litt. D., Brick Court, Middle Temple, London, E.C.
- *Elsdon Best, F.N.Z. Inst., Dominion Museum, Wellington
- Chas. M. Woodford, C.M.G., The Grinstead, Partridge Green, Sussex, England
- S. H. Ray, M.A., F.R.A.I., 218, Balfour Road, Ilford, Essex, England
- Rev. T. G. Hammond, Putaruru, Auckland
- *Major J. T. Large, Masonic Institute, H. M. Arcade, Auckland
- Hare Hongi, 3, Stirling Street, Wellington
- Major H. P. Tunui-a-rangi, Carterton
- F. W. Christian
- The Rev. C. E. Fox, San Cristoval; via Ugi, Solomon Islands
- H. D. Skinner, B.A., D.C.M., Hocken Library, Dunedin
- M. G. Julien, Governeur des Colonies, 116, Rue Lecourbe, Paris XV.
- Thos. G. Thrum, Fort Street, Honolulu, H. I.
- S. Savage, Rarotonga Island
- Herries Beattie, Oamaru
- Rev. R. T. Kohere, Araroa, via Gisborne
- Rev. P. Tamahori, Tuparoa, via Gisborne
- T. W. Downes, P.O. Box 119, Whanganui
- 1899 Atkinson, W. E., Whanganui
- 1916 Avery, Thomas, New Plymouth
- 1918 Adalbert College, Western Reserve University, Cleveland Ohio, U.S.A.
- 1918 Australian Museum, Sydney
- 1894 Bamford, E., Arney Road, Auckland
- 1896 British and Foreign Bible Society, 146, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C.
- 1898 Buchanan, Sir W. C., Tupurupuru, Masterton
- 1902 Boston City Library, Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
- 1903 Brown, Prof. J. MacMillan, M.A., LL.D., Holmbank, Cashmere Hills, Christchurch
- 1907 Buick, T. Lindsay, F. R. Hist. S., Press Association, Wellington
- 1909 Bullard, G. H. Chief Surveyor, Christchurch
- 1910 Burnet, J. H., Virginian Homestead, St. John's Hill, Whanganui
- 1910 Burgess, C. H. New Plymouth
- 1911 Bird, W. W., Inspector Native Schools, Napier
- 1913 Buddle, R., H.M.S. “Hawkins,” Wei-Hai-Wei, China.
- 1914 Brooking, W. F., Powderham Street, New Plymouth
- 1916 Bottrell, C. G., High School, New Plymouth
- 1918 Beyers, H. Otley, Professor Department of Anthropology, University of the Philippines, Manilla
- 1919 Budge, A. W., Stratford
- 1920 Black, G. J., Gisborne
- 1920 Burrows, H. G. A. D., M. A. Society, 26, Rooding Street, N. Brighton, Melbourne
- 1920 Bates, D. C., Brooklyn, Wellington
- 1920 Balneavis, H. R. N., Secretary, Hon. Native Minister
- 1921 Buck, Dr., P. H., District Health Office, Auckland
- 1921 Buller, Miss M., 47, Tinakori Road, Wellington
- 1921 Bassett, Geo., Whanganui
- 1892 *Chapman, The Hon. F. R., Wellington
- 1892 Chambers, W. K., Fujiya, Mount Smart, Penrose, Auckland
- 1893 Carter, H. C., 475, West 143rd Street, N.Y.
- 1894 Chapman, M., Wellington
- 1896 Cooper, The Hon. Theo., Supreme Court, Auckland
- 1903 Chatterton, Rev. F. W., The Vicarage, Rotorua
- 1903 Cole, Ven. Archdeacon R. H., D.C.L., c/o Bank of New Zealand, 1, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C.
- 1908 Coughlan, W. N., Omaio, Opotiki
- 1908 Carnegie Public Library, Dunedin
- 1908 Carnegie Public Library, New Plymouth
- 1910 Cock, R., New Plymouth
- 1918 Chambers, Bernard, Te Mata, Havelock North
- 1918 Corney, Geo., Devon Street, New Plymouth
- 1918 Crooke, Alfred, Marton
- 1919 Curtis, G. N., Stratford
- 1919 Corlett, J., Taumarunui
- 1919 Cooper, William, Gisborne
- 1919 Carnegie Public Library, Onehunga
- 1920 Cowan, Jas., F.R.G.S., c/o Dept., Internal Affairs, Wellington
- 1921 Campbell, Capt., c/o Resident Comr., Rarotonga
- 1921 Connett, J. B., New Plymouth
- 1921 Collocott, E. E. V., Nukualofa, Tonga Island
- 1902 Dulau & Co., 34, 36, Margaret Street, Cavendish Square, London, W.
- 1903 Dixon, Roland B., Ph.D., Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
- 1917 Dominion Museum, Wellington
- 1918 Davidson, J. C., “Ratanui,” Carrington Road, New Plymouth
- 1920 Davis, F. T., c/o Roy and Nicholson, New Plymouth
- 1892 *Emerson, J. S., 1501, Emerson Street Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- 1920 Emslie, Mrs. Ann, Hillside, Waverley
- 1921 England, W., Te Ngae, Rotorua
- 1921 Elvey, W. E., Noseworthy Road, Blenheim
- 1896 Fletcher, Rev. H. J., Taupo
- 1902 Fraser, M. New Plymouth
- 1903 Fowlds, Hon. G., Auckland
- 1906 Field Museum of Natural History, The Chicago, U.S.A.
- 1913 Fildes, H., Chief Post Office, Wellington
- 1920 Fitzherbert, P. B., New Plymouth
- 1921 Firth, R. W., Wymondsley Road, Otahuhu, Auckland
- 1902 Gill, W. H., Marunouchi, Tokio, Japan
- 1902 Graham, Geo., 25, Grafton Road, Auckland
- 1910 Goding, Fred W., U.S. Consul-General. Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 1919 Good, H. M., Stratford
- 1919 Grace, P. Alfred, Tokaanu, Taupo
- 1920 Goller, John, Inglewood
- 1920 Gensick, F., 43, Albany Street, Dunedin
- 1898 Hastie, Miss J. A., c/o Street and Co., 30, Cornhill, London
- 1908 Hallen, Dr. A. H., The Hospital, Mercury Bay, Auckland
- 1909 Holdsworth, John, Swarthmoor, Havelock, Hawkes Bay
- 1910 Hocken, Mrs. T. M., Hocken Library, Dunedin
- 1910 Home, Dr. George, New Plymouth
- 1918 Hodgson, N. V., c/o Norman Potts, Opotiki
- 1918 Hart, Henry H., 3363 Washington Street, San Francisco
- 1919 Hughes, R. Clinton, New Plymouth
- 1921 Hamilton, Harold, Dominion Museum, Wellington
- 1921 Huggins, H. A., Taurima, 55, Hamilton Road, Kilbirnie, Wellington
- 1921 Hudson, J. H., G.P.O., Auckland
- 1921 Harris, F., Albion Hotel, Gisborne
- 1921 Hine, Ed., Powderham Street West, New Plymouth
- 1921 Henderson, G. M., M.A., Education Dept., Wellington
- 1907 Institute, The Auckland, Museum, Auckland
- 1907 Institute, The Otago, Dunedin
- 1921 Ilott, J. W. H., 246B Terrace, Wellington
- 1892 *Johnson, H. Dunbar, Judge N.L.C., 151, Newton Road, Auckland
- 1918 Johnson, E. G., Hill Road, Richmond, Nelson
- 1910 King, Newton, Brooklands, New Plymouth
- 1920 Kirtley, John, c/o T. H. Martyn & Co., 117, Pitt Street, Sydney
- 1921 Kenderdine, J., Sale Street, Auckland
- 1894 Lambert, H. A. Belmont, Tayford, Whanganui
- 1911 Lysnar, W. D., Gisborne
- 1913 List, T. C., New Plymouth
- 1916 Leatham, H. B., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., Lond., New Plymouth
- 1917 List, C. S., Rata Street, Inglewood
- 1918 Laughton, Rev. J. G., Ruatahuna, via Rotorua
- 1920 Leith, F. E., Rangiputa, via Kaimaumau, Auckland
- 1921 Lee, G. A., Pendarvis Street, New Plymouth
- 1892 *Marshall, W. S., Maungaraupi, Rata
- 1892 *Major, C. E., 22, Empire Buildings, Swanson Street, Auckland
- 1897 Marshall, J. W., Tututotara, Marton
- 1897 Marshall, H. H., Motu-kowhai, Marton
- 1907 Minister for Internal Affairs, The Hon., Wellington
- 1912 Marsden, J. W., Isel, Stoke, Nelson
- 1916 Mitchell Library The, Sydney
- 1917 Marshall, P., M.A., D.Sc., F.G.S., F.N.Z., Inst., Collegiate School, Whanganui
- 1918 McDonnell, A. F., 355, Queen Street, Auckland
- 1918 Morris, G. N., Resident Commissioner, Niué Island
- 1918 Missionery Research Library, 25, Maddison Avenue, New York
- 1919 McKay, Wm., F.R.C.S.E., 45, Guiness Street, Greymouth
- 1919 McKay, James, P.O. Box 55, Greymouth
- 1920 McEachen, Miss, M.A., 102, Nile Street East, Nelson
- 1920 McVeagh, James, 85, Queen Street, Auckland
- 1921 Monro, Rev., Piri, Ohinemutu, Rotorua
- 1895 Ngata, A. T., M.A., M.P., Parliamentary Buildings, Wellington
- 1900 Newman, Mrs. W. L., New Plymouth
- 1902 New York Public Library, Astor Buildings, 42nd Street, New York
- 1906 Newman, Dr. A. K., P.O. Box 1476, Wellington
- 1919 Nairn, Mrs. Edith, Oteka, Havelock N.
- 1919 Nairn, Miss Olive, Oteka, Havelock N.
- 1921 Nenoys Utsurikawa, Dr., University, Tokio, Japan
- 1919 Ormsby, R., P.O. Box 99, Te Kuiti
- 1920 O'Dea, P., M.A., L.L.B., Hawera
- 1894 Partington, J. Edge, F.R.G.S., Wyngates, Burke's Road, Beaconsfield, England
- 1907 Public Library, Auckland
- 1907 Public Library, Wellington
- 1907 Public Library, Bent Street, Sydney, N.S.W.
- 1907 Philosophical Institute, The, Christchurch
- 1913 Potts, Norman, Opotiki
- 1914 Parliamentary Library The (Commonwealth), Melbourne
- 1917 Platts, F. W., C.M.G., Te Kuiti
- 1919 Public Library, Invercargill
- 1920 Pomare, Hon. M., Minister in Charge, Cook Islands, Wellington
- 1921 Painter, Robert, Inglewood
- 1921 Public Library, Melbourne, Victoria
- 1921 Phipps, W. J., 132, Pinnar Road, Oxley, Watford, England
- 1892 *Roy, R. B., Taita, Wellington
- 1908 Roy, J. B., New Plymouth
- 1918 Rylands, John, Library, Deansgate, Manchester University, England
- 1918 Rockel, R. H., M.A., Gover Street, New Plymouth
- 1920 Roy, Ian, c/o Brandon, Son & Hislop, P.O. Box 36, Wellington
- 1920 Rowe, W., Devon Street East, New Plymouth
- 1920 Rowden, F. J., Railway Dept., Ohakune.
- 1921 Repa, Dr. Tutere W., Araroa, via Gisborne
- 1892 *Smith, W. W., F.E.S., Pendarves Street, New Plymouth
- 1892 *Smith, F. S., Blenheim
- 1892 *Smith, M. C., Survey Department, Wellington
- 1892 *Smith, S. Percy, F.R.G.S., F.N.Z. Inst., New Plymouth
- 1892 *Stout, Hon. Sir R., K.C.M.G., Chief Justice, Wellington
- 1892 *Skinner, W. H., York Terrace, New Plymouth
- 1896 Smith, Hon. W. O., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- 1904 Smith, H. Guthrie, Tutira, via Napier
- 1904 Samuel, The Hon. Oliver, K.C., M.L.C., New Plymouth
- 1907 Secretary, The Postal Dept., Wellington
- 1915 Smith, Alex., Railway Department, Masterton
- 1916 Shalfoon, G., Opotiki
- 1919 Snowball, Alf., 24, Albany Street, Christchurch
- 1920 Shaw, Stanley W., New Plymouth
- 1921 Simcox, Dr. J. E. S., Plimmerton, Wellington
- 1921 Strong, Mrs., Shortland Street, Avenue Road, New Plymouth
- 1921 Stimson, J. Frank, Papeete, Tahiti
- 1913 Tribe, F. C., Vogeltown, New Plymouth
- 1915 Thomson, Dr. Allan, M.A., D.Sc., F.G.S., A.O.S.M., F.N.Z. Inst., Museum, Wellington
- 1918 Trimble, Harold, Inglewood
- 1919 Turnbull Library, The, Bowen Street, Wellington
- 1919 Thompson, Dr. W. M., M.A., M.B., B.C.L., Hawera
- 1921 Threkleson, Miss, Matemateonga
- 1919 Vaile, Hubert E., Queen Street, Auckland
- 1921 Van Doesburg, Breestraat 14, Leiden, Holland
- 1921 Vogan, Arthur, c/o J. A. Richardson, Eldon Chamber, Pitt Street, Sydney
- 1892 *Williams, Archdeacon H. W., Gisborne
- 1894 Wilson, A., Hangatiki, Auckland
- 1896 Williams, F. W., Te Rawhiti, Hukarere Road, Napier
- 1896 Wilcox, Hon. G. A., Kauai, Hawaiian Islands
- 1898 Whitney, James L., Public Library, Dartmouth, Boston, U.S.A.
- 1903 Walker, Ernest A., M.D., New Plymouth
- 1910 Wilson, Sir J. G., Bulls
- 1912 Westervelt, Rev. W. D., Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- 1914 Waller, Captain W., Moturoa, New Plymouth
- 1915 Wilson, Thos., Captain, New Plymouth
- 1915 Williams, H. B., Turihaua, Gisborne
- 1916 Welsh, R. D., Hawera
- 1916 White, Percy J. H., New Plymouth
- 1917 Wilkinson, C. A., Eltham
- 1918 Wallace, D. B., Masonic Club, Queen Street, Auckland
- 1918 Western, T. H., Puketapu, Bell Block, New Plymouth
- 1920 Williamson, R. W., M.Sc., The Copse, Brook, Godalming, Surrey, England
- 1920 Watkins, A. E., Egmont Street, New Plymouth
- 1920 Ward, R. H., Taupo
- 1920 Wilson, H. F., P.O. Box 1179, Honolulu
- 1920 Williams, W. J., Town Hall, Dunedin
- 1920 Williams, K.S., M.P., Matahiia, Tokomaru Bay, Gisborne
- 1921 Waite, Major F., Waiwera South, Otago
- 1921 Waterston, Chas., Union Bank, New Plymouth
- 1921 Wilson, D. M., Lands and Survey, New Plymouth
- 1892 *Young, J. L., c/o Henderson and Macfarlane, Auckland
PRESIDENTS—Past and Present:
- 1892-1894—H. G. Seth-Smith, M.A.
- 1895-1896—Right Rev. W. L. Williams, M.A. D.D.
- 1896-1898—The Rev. W. T. Habens, B.A.
- 1899-1900—J. H. Pope
- 1901-1903—E. Tregear, I.S.O., etc.
- 1904-1922—S. Percy Smith, F.R.G.S.
LIST OF EXCHANGES.
THE following is the List of Societies, etc., etc., to which the JOURNAL is sent, and from most of which we receive exchanges:—
- Anthropologie, Sociétéd', 15 Rue Ecole de Medicin, Paris
- Anthropologie Societa, Museo Nazionale di Anthropologia, Via Gino Capponi, Florence, Italy
- Anthropologie Ecole d', 15 Rue Ecole de Medicin, Paris
- Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, 5, Elizabeth Street, Sydney
- American Oriental Society, 245, Bishop Street, Newhaven, Conn., U.S.A.
- American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia, U.S.A.
- Asiatic Society of Bengal, 1, Park Street, Calcutta
- Anthropological Department, University of The Philippines, Manilla
- American Museum of Natural History, 77th Street and Central Park, W., New York, U.S.A.
- Bataviaasch Genootschap, Batavia, Java
- Bureau of American Ethnology, Smithsonian Institution, Washington
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Honolulu, H.I.
- Dominion Museum, Wellington
- Fijian Society, The, Suva, Fiji Islands
- General Assembly Library, Wellington
- Géographie, Société de, de Paris, Boulevard St. Germain, 184, Paris
- Geographical Society, The American, Broadway, at 156th Street, New York
- High Commissioner of New Zealand, 415, Strand, London
- Historical Society, Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands
- Insitute, The New Zealand, Wellington
- Kongl, Vitterhets Historie, och Antiqvitets, Akademen, Stockholm, Sweden
- Koninklijk Instituut, 14, Van Galenstratt, The Hague, Holland
- Library, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- Museu Paulista, Coina, g., San Pedro, Brazil
- Na Mata, Editor, Suva, Fiji
- National Museum of Natural History, Washington, U.S. America
- Peabody Museum of Archæology, Harvard University, Cambridge, U.S.A.
- Philippines, Bureau of Science Library, Manilla
- Queensland Museum, Brisbane, Queensland
- Royal Geographical Society, Kensington Gore, London, S.W.
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, Brisbane
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, c/o G. Collingridge, Waronga, N.S.W.
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, 70, Queen Street, Melbourne
- Royal Society, Burlington House, London
- Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain, The, 50, Great Russell Street, London, W.C.
- Royal Society of New South Wales, 5, Elizabeth Street, Sydney
- Royal Colonial Institute, The, Northumberland Avenue, London
- Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, Adelaide
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington
- Société Neuchateloise de Geographie, Switzerland
- Société d'Etudes Oceanienne, Tahiti Island
- Tokyo Imperial University, Tokyo, Japan
- University of California, Library Exchange Department, Berkeley, California
- University Museum, 33d and Spence Streets, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- United States National Museum, Washington, U.S.A.
- University of Chicago Library, Chicago, U.S.A.
- xii Page is blank