THE JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY.
CONTAINING THE TRANSACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY.
VOL. 37. 1928.
new plymouth, n.z.: PRINTED FOR THE SOCIETY BY THOMAS AVERY & SONS LTD., DEVON STREET. 1928.
- 2 Page is blank
CONTENTS OF VOL. 37.
No. 145—March, 1928.
- Bird-snaring, etc., in the Whanganui River District. By T. W. Downes 1
- Language, Mythology and Songs of Bwaidoga, Goodenough Is., S.E. Papua. By D. Jenness and (late) Rev. A. Ballantyne 30
- Fish-poisoning in Rarotonga, Hora. By Te Rangi Hiroa (P. H. Buck), D.S.O., M.D. 57
- Honorific Terms, Sacerdotal Expressions, Personifications, etc., met with in Maori Narrative 67
- Word List 70
- The Sacred Calabash. By Rear-Admiral Hugh Rodman, U.S. Navy (retired) 75
- Publications Received 88
- Correspondence 90
- Notes and Queries 93
- Sir Joseph Banks wears a Maori, not an Otahetian cloak—Greenstone Pendants.
- Annual Meeting 94
- Balance Sheet 100
- Members of the Society 101
- List of Exchanges 111
No. 146—June, 1928.
- Maori Scrapers. By F. V. Knapp 113
- Stone Implements of Pitcairn Island. By Kenneth P. Emory 125
- The Game of Koruru, or Knuckle-bones. By T. W. Downes 136
- Language, Mythology and Songs of Bwaidoga, Goodenough Is. S. E. Papua. By D. Jenness and (late) Rev. A. Ballantyne 139
- A Tuahu on the Whanganui River. By T. W. Downes 165
- Word List 169
- Maori and Maruiwi. Collected by Elsdon Best 175
- Honorific Terms, Sacerdotal Expressions, Personifications, etc., met with in Maori Narrative 226
- The Samoan Division of Time. By a Member of the Samoan Society 228
- Unusual Form of Stone Adze from Pahiatua. By W. J. Phillips 241
- Reviews 242
- “The Arunta: A Study of a Stone Age People.” By Sir Baldwin Spencer and the late F. J. Gillen; “The Kiwai Papuans of British New Guinea,” by G. Landtman; “Orokaiva Magic,” by F. E. Williams.
- Publications Received 253
- Notes and Queries Facing 254
- Views of Lagoon at Rarotonga during the hora, or fishpoisoning.
- Proceedings 255
- Errata, Vol. 36 256
No. 147—September, 1928.
- The Story of Rua and Tangaroa. An Origin Myth 257
- The Story of Ngae and Tutununui 261
- Language, Mythology and Songs of Bwaidoga, Goodenough Is. S. E. Papua. By D. Jenness and (late) Rev. A. Ballantyne 271
- On the Origian of the Polynesian Passive. By Spencer Churchward, M.A. 300
- Some Observations on Polynesian Verbs. By H. W. Williams, LITT. D. 306
- A System of Diacritical Marks designed to facilitate the Comparative Study of the Polynesian Languages. By J. Frank Stimson 318
- Tahitian Names for the Nights of the Moon. By J. Frank Stimson 326
- The Nights of the Moon. By H. W. Williams, M.A., LITT. D. 338
- Notes and Queries 357
- Manufacture of Stone Implements.
No. 148—December, 1928.
- The Story of Tawhaki. As written by Henare Potae, of Uawa 359
- Prehistoric Drains on the Kaipara, West Coast. By Edwin Harding 367
- Samoan Head-shaping. By Andrew Thomson 369
- Word List 372
- Language, Mythology and Songs of Bwaidoga, Goodenough Is. S.E. Papua. By D. Jenness and (late) Rev. A. Ballantyne 377
- The Grammatical Value of Constructions with e in the Polynesian Dialects compared with Similar Cases in Indonesia. By Dr. A. Lafeber, Amsterdam, Holland 403
- The Blood Theory of the Melanesians, New Guinea. By Stephen Lehner 426
- Reviews 451
- “Ancient Tahiti,” by Teuira Henry; “Pacific Island Records: Fish-hooks,” by Harry G. Beasley
- Publications Received 454
- Notes and Queries 457
- A Maori Stone Anchor—A Rare Form of Pendant—Artificial Islet Refuges of Lake Horowhenua.
- Proceedings 460