THE JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY.
CONTAINING THE TRANSACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY.
VOL. 41. 1932.
New Plymouth, N.Z.: PRINTED FOR THE SOCIETY BY THOMAS AVERY & SONS LTD., DEVON STREET. 1932.
- 2 Page is blank
CONTENTS OF VOL. 41.
No. 161—March, 1932.
- The late Elsdon Best, F.N.Z. Inst. 1
- Old Native Stone-cut Artifacts from Waverley. By T. W. Downes 50
- Review 59
- “Reisen in den Britischen Solomonen.” By Eugen Paravicini.
- Periodical Literature 60
- Personal Notes 62
- Publications Received 63
- Correspondence 65
- Notes and Queries 66
- Cocks-comb Hooded Images.
- Proceedings 67
- Members of the Society 69
- List of Exchanges 78
No. 162—June, 1932.
- The Material Culture of the Moa-Hunters in Murihiku. By David Teviotdale 81
- Maja: The notion Maja in the Jabem Language of N.E. New Guinea. By St. Lehner, Lutheran Missionary, Finschhafen, New Guinea 121
- Was the Double-Outrigger known in Polynesia and Micronesia. By James Hornell, F.R.A.I., F.L.S. 131
- Polynesian and Oceanic Elements in the Chimu and Inca Languages. By F. W. Christian, B.A. 144
- He Kiki Waka Taua. By W. H. Skinner 157
- Reviews and Short Notices 159
- “Primitive Concepts of Disease, ” by Forrest E. Clements; “Ethnology of Tongareva, ” by Te Rangi Hiroa; “Fiji and the Fijians, ” by G. C. Henderson; “Melodic Composition and Scale Foundation in Primitive Music, ” by Helen H. Roberts; “The Kite: a study in Polynesian Tradition, ” by Nora K. Chadwick; “Papae (Hockey) in Tahiti and the Austral Islands, ” by Kenneth Emory.
- Publications Received 173
- Notes and Queries 177
- Weapons of the Patu type—the Tautau, a Maori pendant—Hector Medal—Stones embedded in the forks of trees.
- Proceedings 179
No. 163—September, 1932.
- Songs of the Polynesian Voyagers. By J. Frank Stimson 181
- Maori Amulets in Stone, Bone, and Shell. By H. D. Skinner 202
- Native Names of Common Plants of Rarotonga, Cook Islands. By J. D. Campbell 212
- Decorative Featherwork. By W. H. Skinner 214
- Reviews and Short Notices 216
- “Journal of Thomas Williams, Missionary in Fiji, 1840-1853, ” by G. C. Henderson; “The Letters and Journals of Samuel Marsden, 1765-1838, ” by John Rawson Elder; “String Figures from Gujarat and Kathiawar, ” by James Hornell.
- Publications Received 228
- Correspondence 231
- Notes and Queries 237
- Short Notes on two Maori pa in English Museums—Reburial at Little Papanui—Personal—Notes on the Moa-hunters.
- Annual Meeting 242
- President's Address 244
- Annual Report 248
- Statement of Accounts 250
No. 164—December, 1932.
- Recording of Polynesian Texts and Proper Names. By Te Rangi Hiroa 253
- The Social Organization of Banaba or Ocean Island, Central Pacific. By H. C. and H. E. Maude 262
- Maori Amulets in Stone, Bone, and Shell. By H. D. Skinner 302
- Wrecked on the Voyage to Lau. By C. J. Morey 310
- Additional Stone-cut Artifacts from Waverley. By T. W. Downes 312
- Obituary—William Thorpe 317
- Publications Received 318
- Correspondence 320
- Notes and Queries 323
- The Easter Island Script—A Tuamotuan Canoe—Cocks-comb Hooded Images—Double Canoes of the Maori at Nelson—Maori Bird Perch.
- Proceeding 326
- Field Notes on the Culture of Vaitupu, Ellice Islands. By Donald Gilbert Kennedy Index
- Maori Music with its Polynesian Background. By Johannes C. Andersen, F.N.Z.Inst. 1-140
- A Vocabulary of the Lau Language, Big Mala, Solomon Islands. Compiled by W. C. Ivens, M.A., Litt.D. 1-20
- 5 Page is blank
ELSDON BEST, 1931