THE JOURNAL OF THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY
Containing the Transactions and Proceedings of the Society.
VOL. 56. 1947.
Wellington, N.Z.: THE POLYNESIAN SOCIETY (INCORPORATED) 1947.
- 2 Page is blank
CONTENTS TO VOL. 56.
No. 1—March, 1947.
- Johannes Carl Andersen, M.B.E., F.R.S. (N.Z.) Editor, 1925-1947 1
- Pits at Karapiro. By H. D. Skinner 2
- Notes on Oceanian War Clubs. By B. A. de Vere Bailey, ex-Museum of Anthropology, University of Michigan 3
- The Impact of Languages and the Coalescence of the Fragments. By A. A. Lind. Part 4 18
- A List of Maori Fish Names. By W. J. Phillipps, Dominion Museum 41
- The Tuamotu Legend of Rongo, Son of Vaio. By Kenneth P. Emory, Ph.D., Bernice P. Bishop Museum 52
- Stone Tools Made from Quarried Material. By Hugh S. McCully 55
- Phonetic Laws in Melanesian Languages. By C. E. Fox, M.A., Litt.D. (N.Z.), Fellow of St. John's College, Auckland 58
- Book Notices 119
- News and Notes 123
No. 2—June, 1947.
- The Science Congress, 1947 127
- Trusteeship and New Zealand's Pacific Dependencies. By Ernest Beaglehole, Victoria University College 128
- The Canberra Proposals for a South Pacific Commission. By C. G. R. McKay, late Secretary of Island Territories, Wellington 158
- Aborigine and Maori. By R. M. S. Taylor, D.D.S. (N.Z.), Principal Dental Officer, Auckland 163
- The Development of Maori Culture Since the Advent of the Pakeha. By J. M. McEwen, LL.B., Native Department, Wellington 173
- Tuamotuan Bird Names. By Kenneth P. Emory, Ph.D., Bernice P. Bishop Museum 188
- Rarotonga Today. By T. R. A. Davis, M.B., CH.B., Medical Officer, Rarotonga 197
- Peru-Tahiti Raft Voyage. By G. S. Roydhouse 219
- Sir Apirana Ngata. Public address in Wellington 223
- Book Notices 224
- Treasurer's Report on Annual Accounts for the year ended 31st March, 1947 226
- Secretarial and Journal Report 228
- Statement of Accounts 230
No. 3—September, 1947.
- New Zealand Archaeology and Air Photography. By G. Blake Palmer, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., D.P.M. 233
- Native Trade around the Huon Gulf, North-eastern New New Guinea. By H. Ian Hogbin 242
- Further Excavations at Pa-Site, Lake Horowhenua. By Richard Rolston 256
- Tuamotuan Plant Names. By Kenneth P. Emory, Ph.D. 266
- Kon Tiki Raft Voyage. By G. S. Roydhouse 278
- Three Languages of the South-East Solomon Islands. By P. A. Langon-Orgill, Ph.D. 283
- The Maori Bible. By the Very Rev. J. G. Laughton 290
- The Tradition of Sanalālā. By J. D. Freeman 295
- Obituary.—A. H. Carrington 317
- Book Notices.—“Maori Poetry,” by Johannes C. Andersen; “Hawaiian Tattooing,” by Kenneth P. Emory 318
- New Zealanders and Anthropology 320
- Notes and Queries.—Query; Maori Riddle; Poutama; Kon Tiki Raft Expedition 321
- “Phonetic Laws in Melanesian Languages” by C. E. Fox—Errata 322
No. 4—December, 1947.
- Original Kumara. By Enid Tapsell 325
- The Maori Method of taking Grey Duck and Black Teal near Taupo. By W. J. Phillipps 333
- The Rua Hoata Shelter, Waikato River. By W. J. Phillipps 336
- Oruarangi Pa. By David Teviotdale and H. D. Skinner 340
- Maori Amulets in Stone, Bone and Shell. By H. D. Skinner 357
- The Kava Ceremony in Tonga. By W. H. Newell 364
- Obituary 418
- Book Notices 419
- Personal 420
- Index 421